Friday 12 January 2018

It's Me Snitches



Alright, let's try this again.

My tentative strategy for not completely shitting the bed this time in terms of keeping this thing updated regularly is: (1) to significantly lower my standards for what counts as a complete post; and (2) just accept that I'm never going to be satisfied working on or talking about just one project and just let this thing be a jumble of shit.

To that end, let's briefly recap all the projects I've got on the go, from oldest (which, broadly speaking, also means most developed) to most recent:
  • Ionian Nights. I never posted about it on here, but it was my first attempt at an OSR-style megadungeon, set in Asia Minor under Persian occupation in the 6th century BC or so. The dungeon was supposed to be the entrance/descent into Hades, because for the Greeks hell was literally just a place underground that you could get to if a cave went deep enough, which is how living people always used to get there. It turned out, later, that this had literally already been done, so while I do occasionally jot down new ideas and things, I'd have to figure out a way to put my own spin on it if I wanted to post about it on here. Or not, who cares.
  • The Crater of Termination / Xish. Weird pulp fantasy megadungeon in a dying earth setting reminiscent of Vance's Dying Earth stories (obviously) and Clark Ashton Smith's Xothique stories, with a bunch of Lovecraft-flavoured gods and cults thrown in. It's more or less my own version of the standard OSR Appendix N worship. 
  •  Mictlan. Hex/wave-crawl where players set off from a fantasy version of the Aztec empire to sail a sea of blood and explore islands of terrifying whatevers. The idea here is to push more toward dark fantasy/horror, low-magic, etc.
  •  Silfurfall / Dregypth. A Norse-flavoured city-on-top-of-a-megadungeon. This is supposed to be a way of running standard elves and dwarves Tolkienesque fantasy in a way that doesn't make me want to just flip the table mid-session and scream "Oh, who gives a fuck about another one of these?!!" It's also kind of an experiment with figuring out a city using Vornheim.
  • Maze of the Mad Magus. Some shit I threw together at the last minute to actually run, which was basically Keep on the Borderlands with my own Castle Greyhawk-inspired megadungeon nearby instead of the Caves of Chaos. The idea was to try and take a lot of cues from what seems to be the implied setting of B2 (and just B2, considered in isolation from other modules).
  • Something for the next One Page Dungeon contest, which obviously I'm going to keep under wraps for now.
Okay, that's it for now. Talk to you soon (maybe).

1 comment:

  1. It's nice when a blog is a "jumble of shit" because then folks can take the scattered ideas that interest them. Unless you are going to play somebody else's setting RAW, then you might as well get as many different ideas as you can and make your own setting.

    ReplyDelete