Thursday 13 April 2017

Rules and Shit


So last post I spilled a lot of ink on setting details but didn't write anything about how I'm actually going to run the fucking thing. So, briefly then. I was initially considering just straight-up using OD&D, but I've since decided I want to move things up to Basic. Consequently, I've more or less settled on Labyrinth Lord, for a few reasons.

First, I like that it's pretty much just a more conveniently organized and better-looking version of Moldvay Basic, with a couple tweaks here and there. Because I actually do appreciate the better organization and presentation over the original books, but I'm also still new to this whole OSR thing, and I really just want to get a feel for how that old-school shit is supposed to play, more or less as-is. I've been developing the setting with that idea in mind. Something like Lamentations of the Flame Princess fucks around with the rules a little too much for where I'm at right now (though I am considering using its presentation of the combat rules; I like that it formalizes a few more options than just hitting things, casting spells or running away).

More practically, I've run a few sessions with it, and as such a couple of the guys I'm going to be playing with this summer are familiar with LL's rules and presentation, and actually own the book. No point in throwing another rules set at them.

Finally, LL has a lot of  resources that I want to use. Realms of Crawling Chaos, obviously, but there's also neat stuff I want to raid from Mutant Future and Apes Victorious. Probably some spells and items from the Advanced Edition Companion, as well. Chances are I'd end up using a bunch of this stuff regardless of which rules set I actually used, so going with LL saves me the hassle of having to convert anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment